Script: Election Day Volunteer Recruitment
Thanks so much for helping us recruit volunteers for get out the vote efforts and Election Day! We have large scale plans and need a lot of people to elect our full slate of Democrats this November.
For this phone bank you are calling staunch democrats who are highly likely to volunteer or already actively volunteering. Here’s how to get started.
- Start with the first person on the spreadsheet who is not checked off.
Check that the person isn’t already signed up here and here.
- If you click Control & F at the same time a search bar will pop up and you can search the document for the person’s name.
- If they are already signed up, note on sheet and move to next person.
- If they aren’t on the sign ups already, give them a call.
If they do not answer and you can leave a message, here’s the script:
Hi, (person’s name), this is (your name), and I’m a fellow democrat working hard to make sure we’re successful this November. I’m calling to find out if you can help the Champaign County Democrats this Election Day. We have many volunteer needs and you can find out more about them at www.champaigncountydemocrats.com/2018, if you can help us out, we’d really appreciate it. Thanks!
If they answer, here’s the script:
Hi, is (person’s name) available?
Hi, (person’s name), this is (your name), and I’m a fellow democrat working hard to make sure we’re successful this November. I’m calling to find out if you can help the Champaign County Democrats with two specific things: get out the vote on campus and poll watching on Election Day.
Are you interested in hearing more about how to volunteer for either of these?
No - Ok, thanks for taking my call and you have a good night.
Yes - Great! Here’s what we’re working on.
We are partnering with The People's Agenda to have a comprehensive get out the vote plan for campus. Early voting opens at the Illini Union on October 25th and we will be out there flyering the students every hour early voting is open! This is a task that is outdoors and requires a lot of standing and walking.
Our biggest project is a comprehensive poll watching operation across the county. Help protect voters in Champaign County by observing at the polls and SPEAKING UP if there are any issues. Training is provided and we’re asking volunteers to sign up for two-hour shifts on Election Day. This is a task that is indoors and mostly sitting but does require good hearing, especially in environments where there are multiple people talking at once.
And finally, we need help with various tasks like distributing literature, transportation, clean up, and other stuff on Election Day.
Do any of these activities sound like something you could help us with?
No - Ok, if you change your mind you can find all this info and sign up to volunteer at www.champaigncountydemocrats.com/2018. Thanks and have a good night.
Yes - Thanks so much! I can sign you now or I can email you all this info and you can sign up on your own. Which would you prefer?
- If they would like to sign up right now, please walk through the online forms and complete them for the person.
- If they would like to have the info emailed to them, please note that on the spreadsheet and carefully enter their email address and Ann or Michelle will follow up with them shortly with an email.
When you are done phone banking:
- Check that all your notes are legible and anyone that needs follow is entered in the spreadsheet.
- Please put your completed sheets behind the “Completed” tab in the binder.